The Ethnic-Minority Scholarship application period is now OPEN!
Ten local high school students are awarded a scholarship of up to $1,000 to help with college expenses. The annual scholarship competition is open to all local high school seniors who apply with a 2.5 GPA or higher; SAT score of 750 or higher (combined Math and Critical Reading); demonstrated leadership capabilities (church, school, community service); evidence of financial need; member of an ethnic-minority group; resident of Mecklenburg County (legacy applicants exempt); and applicant must be entering college as a freshman in the Fall of scholarship year.
APPLICATION PACKET (All items must be included):
- Completed Application
- Two letters of support from school, community, church or employers
- An official transcript, listing class rank and GPA
- Copy of acceptance letter from the institution the student plans to attend
- SAT scores (sealed copy) or ACT scores (sealed copy)
- One-page typed essay demonstrating financial need and why applicant desires the scholarship
- Head shot photograph of applicant; examples: passport, school or professional photo (no selfies)
- Self-addressed stamped envelope
All scholarship packets must be postmarked by April 8, 2018 to be considered. Incomplete packages will not be considered.
Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Inc.,
Alpha Lambda Omega Chapter
P.O. Box 31624
Charlotte, NC 28231
- Recipients who attend a four-year college or university will receive a one-time $1000 scholarship.
- Recipients who attend a community college will receive a one-time $500 scholarship.